News By

Mynář wins lawsuit against Czech Justice Ministry: agency must pay him an extra 1.47 million crowns

Mynář wins lawsuit against Czech Justice Ministry: agency must pay him an extra 1.47 million crowns

The District Court in Olomouc has issued a payment order requiring the Czech Ministry of Justice to pay former head of President Miloš Zeman's office Vratislav Mynář 1,470,422 crowns. The ministry's press office confirmed the ruling.

Mynář had sought compensation for material and moral damages related to a criminal case involving subsidy fraud and harm to the EU's financial interests — charges of which the court ultimately cleared him.

Nearly 2 million in claims

Zeman's former close ally initially demanded 1.9 million crowns from the state. In March, the ministry had already paid him 472,000 crowns, meaning that with the latest court decision, he would receive the full amount originally requested. However, the ministry disagrees with the court's ruling. "The Ministry of Justice will file an objection to the court's decision," said ministry spokeswoman Marcela Nevšímalová. The case will continue to be heard by the same Olomouc court, but this time in an open court hearing. Mynář himself did not respond to requests for comment, and his lawyer, Lukáš Trojan, likewise declined to comment.

The essence of the fraud charge

Mynář was accused of concealing key information several years ago in his application for a European subsidy worth nearly 6 million crowns to build his guesthouse, Malovaný, in Osvětimany. His application failed to disclose that the same property had previously received a subsidy from the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports — 13 million crowns — granted to the association Hřibák, where Mynář served as treasurer.

Cheap flights from Prague
One search across every airline and travel agency.
Find tickets
Sponsored

Hřibák only managed to bring the project to the rough-construction stage before the property was transferred to Mynář's company, Clever Management, on whose behalf he, as director, applied for a new EU subsidy of 5,994,109 crowns, received in June 2011. Mynář has denied any wrongdoing from the outset, insisting he concealed nothing — even though his firm had already returned the funds to the state.

Acquittal

In 2019, it emerged that the building had already received funding previously, which, according to the regional program operator (ROP Střední Morava), violated the rules on reissuing subsidies. Nevertheless, after years of investigation and litigation, Judge Pavel Dvorský ruled in Mynář's favor. Explaining the acquittal, he stated that Mynář had not concealed anything: although Clever Management's application indeed made no mention of its connection to the Hřibák project, the court found that this disclosure was not required, since Clever Management itself, the court determined, had no connection to the original construction of the athletes' dormitory.

Source: seznamzpravy.cz

Share: Telegram WhatsApp

Related news

A tax inspection scandal has erupted in the Slovak town of Humenné, where café patrons on the main square rushed to defend a stallholder when financial administration inspectors showed up to check his till. The incident took place on August
Prague police are searching for a 10-year-old boy named Martin, who went missing on Wednesday. According to police, the search has been underway since 2:00 PM Wednesday.Police spokesman Jan Danek said the boy is fascinated by public transpo
Pilsen, Jablonec and Hradec Králové are all facing crucial European fixtures this week, and fans would do well to know in advance where to catch the action. The matches are part of the Europa League play-off round and the final qualifying r
In the Czech city of Chomutov, a coalition of the SPD, Motorists for Themselves, PRO, Svobodní (Free Citizens) and Trikolóra parties has launched a project called "Chomutov for Itself" — a network of discounts at local businesses for holder
This year, for the first time since 2015, Czech regions will not receive the traditional state subsidy for repairing and reconstructing second- and third-class roads. Prime Minister Andrej Babiš announced the move, arguing that the regions
The Czech Senate has declined to approve, in its original form, the law reviving the electronic sales records system (EET) and has sent the document back to the Chamber of Deputies for a second reading. However, the ruling coalition of ANO,
An explosion followed by a fire broke out this morning in a chemical storage tank at an industrial site in the Zlín Region. The incident occurred at a facility belonging to Glycona, a company specialising in the production of methyl ester,
Police in the Croatian city of Pula have detained a Ukrainian citizen named Volodymyr Z. under a European Arrest Warrant, Germany's Federal Prosecutor's Office has announced.According to German investigators, the detained man is a trained d
The Prague Municipal Court has rejected a lawsuit filed by a Ukrainian citizen who was seeking international protection in the Czech Republic in order to avoid returning home and being drafted into the army. According to the ruling issued l
A kindergarten teacher in Kladruby, in the Tachov region, allegedly frightened a young boy with stories about the devil and punished him by making him stand alone in the washroom — behaviour that led to serious psychological problems for th
Petr Macinka, leader of the Motoristé sobě party and the Czech Republic's foreign minister, plans to run this autumn on two levels of Prague's municipal elections at once — for the citywide council and for the Prague 5 district council. The
Two-time Olympic tennis champion Barbora Krejčíková's compatriot Barbora Siniaková and her mixed doubles partner, Britain's Joe Salisbury—wait, let me redo this properly with correct names as given in the source (Sniakova and John Patten)—w