News By

Okamura orders solution to toilet paper shortage on Czech Railways trains

Okamura orders solution to toilet paper shortage on Czech Railways trains

SPD party leader Tomio Okamura has publicly demanded that Transport Minister Ivo Bedrník resolve the shortage of toilet paper on trains operated by the national carrier České dráhy (ČD). He made the statement on Monday following a coalition council meeting, citing numerous complaints from voters.

“I told my coalition partners that I’ve asked our minister, Bedrník, to make sure there’s toilet paper on the fast trains,” Okamura said. According to him, party supporters keep sending him photos of toilets in train carriages without paper, and the problem, he insists, isn’t a one-off but a systemic issue.

The politician sharply criticized ČD’s CEO Michal Krapinec, saying he has responded inadequately to complaints about service quality. Asked whether Krapinec would keep his job, Okamura said no: “No, no, no — there will be certain changes,” though he stopped short of confirming an imminent resignation.

Railways deny the accusations

Minister Bedrník himself declined to comment on the matter, saying discussions within the ministry are still ongoing.

České dráhy pushed back against the criticism, insisting that service quality is actually improving. According to company spokesman Petr Šťáhlavský, ČD runs roughly 6,500 trains a day, and it’s simply impossible to rule out isolated cases of hygiene supplies running low due to heavier-than-usual use or other circumstances.

“The situation is monitored constantly, and supplies are replenished promptly — this isn’t a systemic problem. If it happens on a particular train, we naturally apologize to the passengers affected,” the company representative added. He noted that service quality issues are regularly discussed with the Transport Ministry and the regions that commission the routes.

Cheap flights from Prague
One search across every airline and travel agency.
Find tickets
Sponsored

CEO gave up his security clearance

Another point of criticism from Okamura concerns ČD CEO Krapinec’s decision to relinquish his “Confidential” security clearance — the second of four classification levels in the Czech Republic. This came to light back in early August.

Krapinec himself explained the decision by citing the protection of his private life, as well as the fact that the clearance isn’t required for his job. “After weighing all the circumstances, including personal and family matters, and given that the CEO position doesn’t actually require such vetting, he decided to give up the clearance,” Šťáhlavský said.

Minister Bedrník was not pleased with the move: in his view, the situation is unusual, and he expects ČD’s supervisory board to examine it thoroughly. The ministry stresses that passing the security check was one of the conditions of the competition for the CEO position.

According to available information, before giving up his clearance, Krapinec had been questioned by the National Security Authority over the past year, amid suspicions of a classified information leak. He was elected CEO of ČD by the supervisory board in 2022, back under Petr Fiala’s government. Before that, he headed the company ČD Telematika, and as ČD’s chief he succeeded Bedrník himself, who left the post shortly after the new cabinet was appointed, without explanation.

Read also: Extension of temporary protection in Czechia for Ukrainians

Source: novinky.cz

Share: Telegram WhatsApp

Related news

On Monday evening, roughly 20 nautical miles off the Russian port of Novorossiysk, drones struck the Greek-flagged vessel ANNA S, owned by Neptune Tradebulk. The crew — 20 Filipino sailors and a Romanian captain — was forced to abandon ship
The Czech State Agriculture and Food Inspection Authority has published photos on social media taken inside the kitchen of a hotel in the Jindřichův Hradec region, where inspectors uncovered serious breaches of hygiene rules during a check.
Former Environment Minister Petr Hladík (KDU-ČSL) has accused Andrej Babiš's government of drastically cutting drought-relief funding: according to him, a record 26.8 billion crowns was allocated for this purpose last year, while the 2026 b
US President Donald Trump has said he intends to declare the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz US territory. On Tuesday, he posted a map of the region with the strait circled, calling its reopening one of the key sticking points in resol
Traffic police in the South Moravian Region carried out a drone-assisted patrol on the D1 motorway, catching trucks that were overtaking other vehicles in areas where this is banned by road signs. The operation took place on Thursday, with
The Motoristé sobě party, which entered the Czech parliament under the banner of "keeping an eye on Babiš," has chosen an unexpected strategy for the upcoming municipal elections: in nine major cities, including Prague, Brno, Ostrava and Pl
Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš (ANO) announced on Monday, after a cabinet meeting, that he would propose to the coalition freezing politicians' salaries at their current level until 2030. He asked the Speaker of the Chamber of Deputies,
At the viewing platform above Pravčická brána in the Bohemian Switzerland National Park, a teenager scratched an inscription into the sandstone rock. The incident was caught on video by another visitor, who sent the footage to park rangers
Former Czech national team player and 2005 Champions League winner with Liverpool Vladimír Šmicer didn't hold back in the latest episode of his podcast, sharply criticising midfielder Jurásek's move from Slavia to arch-rivals Sparta. Šmicer
An outbreak of intestinal infection at a spa resort in the town of Jeseník has affected 111 people, six of whom had to be hospitalised. According to the Regional Hygiene Station in Olomouc, the first sample taken from patients confirmed the
In the Spanish enclave of Ceuta on the North African coast, authorities have begun setting up tents for thousands of migrants who have spent weeks living on the streets and beaches due to a lack of space in the local reception centre. Accor
The football association's disciplinary commission has handed a one-year playing ban to a player from FC Rýmice over a gesture resembling a Nazi salute. The incident took place two years ago: after scoring a goal, the player pressed the ind