News By

Teen Who Stabbed Homeless Man on Camera for Online "Challenge" Gets 6 Years in Prague

Teen Who Stabbed Homeless Man on Camera for Online

The Central Bohemian Regional Court has sentenced a 16-year-old boy to six years in prison for a brutal attack on a homeless man in Prague's Holešovice district. According to the court, the teenager attacked his victim on January 9 in an underpass beneath the Hlávkův Bridge in order to film the assault and win recognition from an online group.

Case files show the young man had accepted an online challenge earlier that year — to carry out, record, and prove a violent attack on a homeless person. He had scouted the location beforehand and picked his victim as an "easy target."

How the attack unfolded

On the evening of January 9, the teenager took the metro to Vltavská station, drank alcohol for courage, and waited until the area was empty of passersby. Around 11 p.m., he approached the sleeping 58-year-old homeless man under the bridge, woke him by tapping his head, and immediately sprayed pepper spray into his eyes. He then began stabbing the man, who was lying on his side, in the chest and right arm with a folding knife.

Investigators say he struck at least ten times, with about half the blows piercing the body. As the victim begged for mercy, the attacker told him, "You deserve this, you bastard," and "Die already, and quickly." The man survived only because his thick clothing and sleeping bag absorbed much of the force of the blows. When he began shouting loudly for help, the attacker fled. A passerby called for assistance, and the victim ended up in intensive care at Motol Hospital.

The court's ruling

The presiding judge of the Central Bohemian Regional Court stated that "an attack intended to kill a person for recognition or respect within a group reflects extreme inhumanity." He added that the sentence should send a clear signal to anyone thinking along similar lines: such acts are, and will continue to be, punished severely.

Cheap flights from Prague
One search across every airline and travel agency.
Find tickets
Sponsored

The defense, which had sought a suspended sentence for causing bodily harm, immediately filed an appeal against the verdict. The state prosecutor said he would consider whether to appeal as well.

In addition to the prison term, the court ordered the teenager to undergo psychological counseling while serving his sentence. He must also pay the victim 300,000 crowns in compensation for his suffering — the young man's family had already covered part of the damages earlier.

Read also: Prague Metro: Map and Tickets

Source: novinky.cz

Share: Telegram WhatsApp

Related news

Czech Finance Minister Alena Schillerová has summed up the results of negotiations with heads of government departments on next year's state budget, announcing that the deficit will grow and spending by several ministries will increase comp
Agrofert, the holding company founded by Prime Minister Andrej Babiš, once again increased its debt load in 2025. According to the group's consolidated annual report, its bank financing rose by 12% over the year to reach CZK 44.3 billion. W
A wind turbine roughly 30 metres tall has collapsed in the Přerov region, crashing onto a field near the village of Lipná. Firefighters were called to the scene, and police are now investigating the circumstances of the incident.According t
On Thursday morning, the Romanian coast guard alerted the country's Ministry of Defence to a drone loaded with explosives spotted in the Black Sea. According to the ministry, the drone was around 150 kilometres from the port city of Constan
Darcy, the golden retriever belonging to former Czech president Miloš Zeman, has died. The dog had lived with the presidential couple since 2013. Zeman confirmed the news to the tabloid Blesk, explaining that the elderly dog had died of pne
Prague's Sparta could be about to lose one of its key defenders — 30-year-old Dane Asger Sørensen is reportedly close to a move to one of the biggest clubs in his homeland. According to Danish outlets tipsbladet.dk and bold.dk, the player h
Czech Minister of Culture Otakar Klempíř has announced that admission to state museums and galleries will be free every first Sunday of the month — and, according to him, this arrangement is meant to be permanent. He made the announcement i
Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš addressed the agricultural exhibition "Země živitelka" (Land the Provider), warning that fully stocked supermarket shelves are no guarantee for the future. According to him, food security deserves just as m
Former Czech President Miloš Zeman, who held the office for two consecutive terms from 2013 to 2023, has said he doesn't rule out making another bid for the country's top job in the 2028 presidential election. He made the remarks in an inte
Prominent Czech constitutional lawyer and former dean of the Faculty of Law at Charles University, Aleš Gerloch, will represent the ANO movement in this autumn's Senate elections. He is running as an independent candidate in the Kladno regi
Russia is experiencing a record outflow of cash from its banking system, as residents rush to withdraw money from their accounts amid fears that authorities could freeze or confiscate deposits to cover mounting war expenses. According to Th
Bendová, mayor of the village of Předklášteří near Brno, has for the past two or three years been renting a 42-square-metre municipal flat, paying just over 5,000 crowns a month — half the market rate for comparable housing. According to th