News By

Trump Says Strait of Hormuz Will Become US Territory

Trump Says Strait of Hormuz Will Become US Territory

US President Donald Trump has said he intends to declare the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz US territory. On Tuesday, he posted a map of the region with the strait circled, calling its reopening one of the key sticking points in resolving the conflict with Iran.

Tensions have escalated amid the war that the US and Israel launched against Iran on February 28. This week marked the expiry of the 60-day deadline set by a memorandum of understanding signed in June — a document meant to pave the way for a broader agreement to end the war and restore shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. No deal was reached, and Washington is reportedly refusing to extend the deadline.

Tehran's Position

Iranian negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said the strait will remain closed until the US fulfills the terms of the agreement — including lifting the naval blockade, removing sanctions and unfreezing Iranian assets. Trump himself, however, has no intention of easing the blockade on Iranian ports.

Threat to Oman

On Monday, the US president threatened to strike Oman — a US ally that has been negotiating with Tehran over shipping rules through the Strait of Hormuz. He warned he would order a strike if Muscat became an obstacle to a peace deal with Iran.

Cheap flights from Prague
One search across every airline and travel agency.
Find tickets
Sponsored

"If Oman gets in our way, we will bomb it to smithereens," Trump said in an interview with Fox News.

This is not the first such statement from the American leader. Last week he already said that "as soon as we defeat Iran, I will fairly soon declare the Strait of Hormuz to be United States territory," without providing further details. Iran categorically rejects every such statement, insisting the strait will remain under Iranian control.

Source: novinky.cz

Share: Telegram WhatsApp

Related news

SPD party leader Tomio Okamura has publicly demanded that Transport Minister Ivo Bedrník resolve the shortage of toilet paper on trains operated by the national carrier České dráhy (ČD). He made the statement on Monday following a coalition
Former Environment Minister Petr Hladík (KDU-ČSL) has accused Andrej Babiš's government of drastically cutting drought-relief funding: according to him, a record 26.8 billion crowns was allocated for this purpose last year, while the 2026 b
Traffic police in the South Moravian Region carried out a drone-assisted patrol on the D1 motorway, catching trucks that were overtaking other vehicles in areas where this is banned by road signs. The operation took place on Thursday, with
The Motoristé sobě party, which entered the Czech parliament under the banner of "keeping an eye on Babiš," has chosen an unexpected strategy for the upcoming municipal elections: in nine major cities, including Prague, Brno, Ostrava and Pl
Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš (ANO) announced on Monday, after a cabinet meeting, that he would propose to the coalition freezing politicians' salaries at their current level until 2030. He asked the Speaker of the Chamber of Deputies,
At the viewing platform above Pravčická brána in the Bohemian Switzerland National Park, a teenager scratched an inscription into the sandstone rock. The incident was caught on video by another visitor, who sent the footage to park rangers
Former Czech national team player and 2005 Champions League winner with Liverpool Vladimír Šmicer didn't hold back in the latest episode of his podcast, sharply criticising midfielder Jurásek's move from Slavia to arch-rivals Sparta. Šmicer
An outbreak of intestinal infection at a spa resort in the town of Jeseník has affected 111 people, six of whom had to be hospitalised. According to the Regional Hygiene Station in Olomouc, the first sample taken from patients confirmed the
In the Spanish enclave of Ceuta on the North African coast, authorities have begun setting up tents for thousands of migrants who have spent weeks living on the streets and beaches due to a lack of space in the local reception centre. Accor
The football association's disciplinary commission has handed a one-year playing ban to a player from FC Rýmice over a gesture resembling a Nazi salute. The incident took place two years ago: after scoring a goal, the player pressed the ind
Czech Finance Minister Alena Schillerová has begun talks with heads of other ministries on spending and savings in next year's budget, while economist and member of the National Budget Council Petr Musil used the same day to criticize the g
A state-owned plant in Mesquite, Texas, a suburb of Dallas, was supposed to produce 100,000 155mm artillery shells a year for the US Army. However, it has emerged that the facility, launched in 2024, has not produced a single usable shell,