News By

Suspect in Nord Stream Pipeline Bombing Detained on Set of Film About the Very Same Blast

Suspect in Nord Stream Pipeline Bombing Detained on Set of Film About the Very Same Blast

Ukrainian national Volodymyr Zhuravlyov, suspected of masterminding the sabotage of the Nord Stream pipeline, was detained by Croatian police on Wednesday under a European arrest warrant. The irony: at the time of his arrest, he was working as a consultant on the set of a film — about the very Nord Stream blast he's accused of orchestrating.

According to The Guardian, Zhuravlyov had already twice managed to slip through the fingers of German investigators. The first time, he reportedly fled Poland hidden in the trunk of a diplomatic car; the second time, a court released him. This latest arrest, however, went ahead in Croatia on the basis of a German request, despite the earlier Polish court ruling.

Consulting on a Film About His Own Case

In Croatia, Zhuravlyov was working as a consultant on "Snake Island," a film directed by Doug Liman, best known for the Jason Bourne franchise. The movie tells the story of the Nord Stream bombing itself, with Oscar winners Sean Penn and Adrien Brody in the lead roles.

Zhuravlyov is now the second suspected saboteur to be detained in connection with the destruction of the pipeline that once carried Russian gas — an operation investigators believe was carried out on the orders of Ukrainian intelligence services. The first was Serhii K., extradited from Italy to Germany last year, who is believed to have led the entire group. Both divers, along with the Ukrainian government, deny any involvement in the blasts.

Cheap flights from Prague
One search across every airline and travel agency.
Find tickets
Sponsored

A Jurisdictional Dispute Between EU Countries

Zhuravlyov's lawyers will now fight to prevent his extradition to Germany. Should the case remain in Croatia, an unprecedented situation would arise: a Croatian court would have to reconsider a matter already ruled on by another EU state — Poland. Last year, a Polish court determined that Germany lacked jurisdiction over the case, and that sabotaging the pipeline could be considered a legitimate act within a defensive war.

That Polish ruling was likely shaped by the stance of the Polish government itself, which has long opposed the pipeline as a symbol of the German chancellors' overly close pre-war ties with Moscow. "The problem with Nord Stream 2 isn't that it was blown up — it's that it was ever built in the first place," Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk has said.

Source: novinky.cz

Share: Telegram WhatsApp

Related news

World No. 2 Carlos Alcaraz has announced his return to the court following a lengthy layoff caused by a right wrist injury. "I'm back. Let's go," the tennis star said in a short video. The US Open singles tournament kicks off on August 30.T
Hradec Králové came from two goals down to draw 2:2 away to Greece's Panathinaikos at the Olympic Stadium in Athens in the first leg of the Conference League's fourth qualifying round. The Czech side clawed back the deficit and struck the e
On Wednesday, Ukraine's parliament appointed a new overseer of digital transformation and defence innovation — former Security Service of Ukraine chief Yevhen Khmara — to take over the post vacated by the recently dismissed Mykhailo Fedorov
Israel's National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir has released a video showing the construction of gallows intended for the execution of convicted Palestinians. The footage, filmed at an undisclosed location, shows the minister pointing t
In pre-season hockey friendlies ahead of the new Czech Extraliga campaign, Sparta Prague beat Vítkovice 3:0 for the second time running, Škoda Plzeň got the better of Energie Karlovy Vary in the West Bohemian derby, and Dukla Jihlava kept u
On Wednesday, July 22, at around 4:00 pm, a serious incident occurred at the Háj u Duchcova stop involving a train travelling from Děčín to Litvínov. A woman failed to remove her child's stroller from the doorway in time as she was getting
On Thursday morning in the German state of Thuringia, a 40-year-old man was killed during a violent storm — in the town of Georgenthal, a falling tree branch struck him as he was walking his child to kindergarten. According to the newspaper
The slogan "Ivan, go home!" — once shouted by Czechs at Soviet soldiers during the 1968 occupation — rang out again outside the Russian Embassy in Prague. The gathering brought together people who came to honor the victims of the Warsaw Pac
The next Czech presidential election won't take place until January 2028, but the crucial campaign groundwork will begin as early as next year. According to former European Commissioner and ex-MEP Pavel Telička, ANO leader Andrej Babiš will
For the first time, the United Kingdom has openly acknowledged that its support for Ukraine is large-scale and includes assistance with strikes on Russian territory. This was stated by Libor Bartuška, the Czech ambassador in London, comment
AS Monaco has stirred up controversy among Polish football fans after posting a series of photographs of the Silesia region on its Facebook page. The images appeared just ahead of the club's first-round Conference League play-off match agai
Václav Dejčmar, co-owner of the investment group RSJ and a philanthropist, has sparked outrage after proposing to restrict voting rights for elderly Czechs, arguing that people should lose the right to vote during the final 18 years of thei